What Can I Do With...
"The beak is a very sensitive organ of touch. Its shortening is an extremely cruel way to adapt the animals to poor housing conditions."
If you own a chicken with a shortened beak or (you may have been presented with this animal), it can lead to chicken health problems with the feed intake.Solution:
- Depending on how much your chicken’s beak has been shortened, it can grow back;
- Some chickens can take only laying flour due to their beaks shortening. However, worms, etc. are a pleasant change for such a tortured animal;
- If your chicken feels bad due to lack of food intake, you should think about slaughter.
Debeaking – Pros and Cons
There are two subtypes of goiter constipation: a “soft goiter” and a “hard goiter”. We mean a soft goiter when feed is fermented in the goiter. If the feed is hard to digest or goiter output is clogged, then we mean a hard goiter.Solution:
- You should massage out any goiter content;
- Goiter can be cut out by the veterinarian.
If you chicken suffers from egg binding or laying problems, or in other words, your chicken cannot produce an egg out of its body, it may happen due to various reasons.
It may be due to a malformation of fallopian tubes or a transverse position of an egg. Another reason is paralysis or inflammation of the fallopian tubes. In this case, you chicken sits somewhere in the corner looking worried, fluffed, with an arched back.Solution:
- You should massage its abdomen to help your chicken to get rid of an egg;
- Chamomile steam bath and oil may help;
- You should not destroy an egg as your hen might be seriously injured;
- You should consult a veterinarian.
Normally molting takes place once a year. In this case the whole plumage is renewed, ensuring chickens’ protection against cold and bad weather. Molting is a stressful time for every bird which requires the entire metabolic activity. So, other levels of chickens’ organism efficiency are adjusted in order to get enough energy for spring changes, for example, egg production. It is important to give your chickens good nutrients and fats to support good chicken health as your birds may need enough energy in this time. If your birds lack in vitamins and nutrients, there may be a poorly growing plumage.Lösung
- Feeding with animal proteins, for example, shrimps;
- You should add sprouted seeds;
- You may add methionine into drinking water if needed;
- If your chickens do not want to drink water with methionine, you may give them tea;
- Give a lot of green stuff and fresh fruit;
- You should give your chickens scrap bones or skin as chickens eat them with pleasure, but they must be well-processed as you do not know what kind of meat they are taken from.
Sniffing is an infectious bacterial disease and mostly occurs in the autumn or winter months. Rhinitis is caused mostly by vitamin deficiency, humid air and a poorly insulated house.
Similar to humans, chickens may sneeze, breathe loudly and have much mucus on their nostrils. It can also lead to an inflamed conjunctiva with swollen eye and nose areas.Solution:
- You should provide a clean and draft-free coop;
- Homeopathic remedies can help if your chickens suffer from a light from of rhinitis;
- A tip from our Forum: vinegar water can also help. (1 tablespoon of vinegar per 1 liter of water);
- Or you should chop onion and garlic into very small pieces and make a mashed mixture by adding them to usual feed;
- If nothing helps, you had better ask your vet to prescribe antibiotics.
Back to the main article “Chicken Diseases"